Chef: Phillip - SouthernFATTY.com
Ready in: 3 Hours
Serves: 5 or more
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons (1 pouch) yeast, active dry
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups flour
- scant 2 cups (7 ounces) freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Heat turbinado sugar and hazelnuts over medium heat in small pan.
- Heat until sugar is dissolved completely and hot, covering all of the nuts.
- Pour out onto baking mat to cool completely.
- Break apart well into bowl.
- Mix 1/2 cup warm water and yeast in mixer bowl.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to dissolve.
- Add flour, cheese, butter, salt to yeast mixture in mixer bowl.
- Mix just until dough formed.
- Add cherries and stir until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface (or baking mat is what I prefer), form dough into two logs, diving dough in half.
- Place on paper-lined or mat covered baking sheet. Cover loosely.
- Let sit for 45 minutes to allow yeast to rise dough.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Uncover and bake for 30 minutes. They should be golden.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Heat oven to 300 F.
- Slice loaves into 1/2" thick slices.
- Place slices cut side down on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 1 hour, flipping halfway through.
- Bake until golden. Be cautious to not burn!
- Cool and enjoy!
- Visit SouthernFATTY.com for more.