- Chef: Mark Winslade
- Ready in: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves: 3-4
- Complexity: medium
- 1 9-inch, all-butter pie crust, unbaked
- 2 pounds leeks, washed well, and thinly sliced on the bias
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of Half & Half or Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, chopped fine
Preheat the oven to 375º.
Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pie crust. Prick the bottom, cover with aluminum foil, fill with pie weights or beans, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the dough has set.
Remove the foil and the weights or beans and bake another 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Cool. Turn down the oven to 350ºF.
Meanwhile, fry pancetta in a large sauté pan til crisp, remove pancetta.
Add the leeks, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the leeks are soft, about 8 minutes.
Remove from the heat and cool.
In a bowl, beat together the eggs with the milk and cheeses. Stir in the leeks.
Sprinkle the pancetta on the bottom of the baked pie crust. Pour in the leek mixture.
Bake for about 1 hour, until the filling has set, browned, and risen. Let cool about 15 minutes before serving. (The center will sink.)