2017 Grilled Cheese Runner Up: Southern Charm
- Chef: Darlene Buerger
- Complexity: medium
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices crispy cooked bacon
- 6 oz smoked deli chicken
- Pimento spread (recipe included)
- Fried green tomatoes (recipe included)
- 4 oz Rumiano Organic Smoked Mozzarella, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shredded lettuce
- 2 medium green tomato, sliced ¼ inch thick (Fried Green Tomatoes)
- ½ cup buttermilk (Fried Green Tomatoes)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (Fried Green Tomatoes)
- ¼ cup flour (Fried Green Tomatoes)
- ¼ cup cornmeal (Fried Green Tomatoes)
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying (Fried Green Tomatoes)
- ¼ cup finely diced Rumiano Organic Monterey Jack Cheese (Pimento Spread)
- ¼ cup finely diced Rumiano Organic Mild Cheddar Cheese (Pimento Spread)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (Pimento Spread)
- 2 tablespoon pimentos, mashed (Pimento Spread)
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish (Pimento Spread)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (Pimento Spread)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder (Pimento Spread)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (Pimento Spread)
Directions for Fried Green Tomatoes:
Combine egg and buttermilk.
Soak tomatoes in mixture for 20 minutes.
Combine flour and cornmeal in a shallow bowl.
Dredge tomatoes in cornmeal mixture, coating both sides and pressing mixture into tomato.
Fry until crispy on both sides.
Place on paper towel to drain and sprinkle with salt.
Recipe makes enough for 2 sandwiches plus extra for snacking.
Directions for Pimento Spread:
Combine ¼ cup finely diced Rumiano Organic Monterey Jack Cheese, ¼ cup finely diced Rumiano Organic Mild Cheddar Cheese, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 2 tablespoon mashed pimentos, 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon cayenne.
Stir until combined.
Recipe makes enough for 2 sandwiches.
To assemble sandwiches:
Spread a light coat of butter on one side of each slice of bread and place 2 slices buttered side down in skillet over medium heat.
Top bread with pimento spread, deli chicken, bacon, fried tomatoes and Mozzarella cheese.
Sprinkle lettuce on top and place another piece of bread buttered side up on top.
Grill until golden brown and then carefully flip sandwich.
Grill remaining side until golden brown.
Serve sandwiches with remaining fried green tomatoes.