16 August 2016
Recipe of the Month: Veggie and Cheddar Strata
With Heirloom Cherry Tomato Salad
We have been testing some new cheese recipes in the Rumiano kitchen and thought we would share our latest creation with you. Your entire family will just eat this up. Let us know when you make it and what you think. We would love to hear from you. Share your photos on social media using the hashtag #rumianocheese
This recipe calls for caramelized onion, spinach and mushrooms which can be interchanged to whatever veggies you have on hand (make sure to use 2 cups of cooked veggies). The heirloom tomato side salad is super simple and complements the richness of the cheesy, eggy strata.
Veggie and Cheddar Strata
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, sliced thick
- 10 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 4 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- red chili flakes, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Rumiano Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Salad
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat oil in a small non-stick skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and stir. Saute for 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions are soft and golden brown and mushrooms have released most of their moisture. Add spinach and garlic and mix in. Cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Add cubed bread into a large bowl. Mix in cooked veggies and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, chives, dried basil, red chili flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Butter a 8x8 baking pan. Add half the bread and veggies mixture to the pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle half the cheddar cheese on top and pour the egg mixture over the entire pan. Use a spatula to press th bread down into the liquid. Top with the rest of the bread nad veggies mixture and the rest of the cheese. Press down on the bread with a spatula a few times to make sure all the bread can soak up the liquid. Set aside for 30 minutes or overnight.
5. Pre-heat oven to 355 F. Bake the strata for 40-50 minutes. The cheddar cheese sould be nice and bubbly and golden brown!
6. While the strata is baking, mix all the ingredients for the heirloom cherry tomato salad in a small bowl with some salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve strata while hot with a generous serving of the heirloom tomato salad! Enjoy!